Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Week 9: Day One

Today we worked on creating a visual argument from an essay in our text. The directions were as follows:

Use the information in the article by Kurt Kleiner When Manana Is Too Soon to create a visual argument supporting Steel's claim that there is little correlation between anxiety and the tendency to procrastinate. Put a PowerPoint slide presentation together that explains in pictures and text his theory that procrastination is caused by a combination of hyperbolic discounting with a theory of motivation called expectancy theory, or temporaal motivational theory (TMT).

Your pictures should dominate your argument.

You title slide should include the title of your presentation and the names of the authors. Your title should be catchy and be related to procrastination. Include at least five slides not including the title slide.

The last slide should cite ONE of the images you use in your slideshow using MLA format. Use www.easybib to enter the information.

Roles: Resource Person (has text, does image citation, and looks for images)

Writer: (looks for images, writes text, puts slideshow together, submits PowerPoint presentation)

Katie and Erica did a great job on the various causes of procrastination presented by Kurt Kleiner.


There wasn't enough time to have selected students show their work.

6 comments:

  1. I really liked their presentation on procrastination. The pictures in this presentation really showed it all. The pictures really dominated the arguement which made it so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am deffinetly going to use this as a templat to what my presentation ought to look like. I think that they did a phenominal job with the project, and should surely be proud of their efforts. It also makes me not want to be a procrastinator... But that is a different story for another day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg! procrastination is like my middle name. isnt it obvious. ive had all semester to comment on your blogs but ofcourse i wait until the last possible second to bust out all fifteen comments. story of my life! theres always tomorrow to do something! i have noticed that i have a problem and am seriously trying to fix it. I have become a lot more efficient in doing my work, most of it atleast. unfortunately i still fall under the category of the equation that states anything unpleasamt is put off. not saying that this blog is unpleasant or anything! =] i just am not too fond of commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Katie and Erica picked a great topic since so many people procrastinate, including myself. Their powerpoint was very well done and thought out. The visuals made a huge impact as well as the information did. The topic was also so a unique one. After seeing their powerpoint I was able to edit and improve mine a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tend to procrastinate when I do not enjoy the action or task that has to be performed. I always find the littlest thing to stop me from starting something. I thought that the powerpoint was wicked good ! I liked the title of the power point most though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Procrastination is defiantly something everyone can relate to; either being one or knowing one. I thought the presentation was very interesting and caught my attention. This assignment was a lot like the advertising project. We worked in partner s to create a PowerPoint for procrastination and our readings. This week involved interacting with parents again, which is always fun.

    ReplyDelete