Saturday, March 13, 2010

Week 8: Day One

Monday's class centered around the power of visual rhetoric. Ann McClintock's essay Propaganda Techniques in Advertising allowed students to look at the various types of propaganda that are used in advertising.

Students worked in pairs to find three ads that would demonstrate at least three of the types of propaganda McClintock discussed in her essay.

The students did a good job with their PowerPoint presentations. Three groups presented. The one difficulty for some of the groups was to distinguish the transfer technique from the glittering generality technique.

Here is an example submitted by Laura and Jared.


transfer technique


name calling technique


glittering generalities technique

I was pleased with the activity and how students were so efficient in finding the ads that demonstrated the techniques. All seemed on task and the time limit was perfect.


7 comments:

  1. This assignment was cool because it gave a chance for the students to open their eyes to propaganda. I know for me personally, I never stop and think about all these methods of persuasion used in ads and commercials to get the community to purchase their product. I feel that this assignment introduced something new to the students.

    Jennifer Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the medium sometimes is the message....which can be scary when we know we can be manipulated.....pathos taking over ethos in many cases, right??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree a lot with Jennifer on this one, the propraganda stuff was very interesting to me and opened my eyes. I thought as we got in group the assignment was not boring at all but quite interesting. Also, I think you picture of a transfer technique is well portrayed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You never really know just how much you are influenced by marketing and propaganda until you do an assignment like this. Even in the movie theaters when theyhave the national guard commercials, if you pause some of the commercials you can find messages hidden throughout the entire screen. It's crazy because these commercials really work. I constantly find myself thinking, "man if I were physically capable, I'd join too". My wonder is, how they learned that even in the slightest bit, that propoganda really influences people, and causes them to change their minds on some of the most impactful decisions in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that propaganda was a very interesting subject and it is used widly throught the world. Laura did a good job finding good examples of propaganda in the F2F activity. I think that propaganda should begin to be used for good things and actions instead of negative things like war and cigarettes. This will take alot of time becasue these two areas are make alot of money in many countries around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really didn't realize just how much and how easily I am influenced by marketing and propaganda. I don't like that businesses have that much control so to speak. This assignment was a real eye opener.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It amazing what a few words and a picture can do to influence you, this week made me realize the power of marketing and advertising. The group work was interesting trying to find different ads to express different advertising techniques. Everyone had something completely different in their presentation which only provides evidence that advertising and marketing has no limit! Very interesting class, we all really got involved with the subject and that made it fun.

    ReplyDelete