Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Week 6: Day One

Today's lesson was on the media's influence on a woman's and a man's image. The lesson began with a journal entry related to the media's influence on a woman's image.



We connected the video to the essay by Dave Barry called Beauty and the Beast.


Then, students were given the following activity.

Work in pairs on this activity. One person is responsible for the text portion; the other is the PowerPoint person.

Click on the link here which explains men and masculinity: http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/issues/stereotyping/men_and_masculinity/index.cfm

Scan the information that applies to how the media influences society's perceptions on what it means to be a male in America.

Then put together a slide show using photos and text which explain the media's influence on the American male image.

You should have a title slide with the title Men and Masculinity with your names and a graphic on that slide.

Attach your Powerpoint slide show to your post and include both names in your subject heading. One person will be responsible for the text while the other is responsible for finding the graphics that represent the text.

Three pairs came up and presented their slideshows. Tim and Reggie put the best one together.


I thought the pairs worked very well together and worked very efficiently once they figured out that the resource was provided in the discussion forum. The timing for the activity was just right. If I did this again, I would have a couple of oral presentations and then I would have students go back in the discussion forum and do sandwich critiques of two other presentations.

I would also include in the directions that the title slide had to be a POW and the final slide had to be a WOW in which the information presented was synthesized. I pointed out that the visual representation of the definition of masculinity needed to have the elements of a text essay. In other words, it needed the POW factor, the development of the thesis, and the WOW factor. When one pair was finished early, I suggested that they go back and do that final slide synthesizing what they had presented.

Here is Reggie and Tim's powerpoint presentation they created.

7 comments:

  1. I really liked this assignment because I believe that it is about time that men understand how much a woman is pressured each and everyday to look good. This was a really interesting assignment, and it makes me realize that society's expectation of women is way to high, while society's expectation of men is the complete opposite.

    Jennifer Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I covered similar territory today in my 1102 class. We're on our poetry block, and we read "Barbie Doll" by Marge Piercy. Here's a link to it:

    http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/barbie-doll/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great poem and good lead in for a journal prompt if I do this again. I love Marge Piercy. Thanks for sharing, Jason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Professor SBS great poem. Also, I really like their presentation and how men are portrayed in the media. Muscle men.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not going to lie, and say that the media's image of women has no affect on me. It does, in a big way too.

    I look, like many other woman, and even teenagers, at the women portrayed as "beautiful" and I think to myself, why can't I be like that?

    Even in the schools we attend, beauty is measured by materials, and how much stuff she has, or what she wears, instead of how she treats others, or even how she looks without so much make-up.

    I think that the Dove commecials for their products really cater to the naturally beautfiul women, the women who are real romodels for teens, and girls. These women are the beauty of the future, because if you take a step back and notice, our culture is starting to stretch the wiastline of what "perfect" really looks like, and I am loving every minute of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also agree with SBS, great poem ! I liked the assignment becasue it turned around the focus on men instead of women.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Alex about how it was a good assignment because it turned around the focus on men instead of women. In the reading from this week I distinctly remember reading how girls play with Barbies and grow up with the image in their mind of what they need to look like and how boys play with super heros and try to be like their favorite action figure as they get older. I never really took any of that into consideration but I found it very interesting.

    ReplyDelete